Environmental, Social & Governance
Environmental Sustainability, Social Responsibility, Transparent Governance
Phoenix Copper Limited is committed to being a leader in modern mining practices by making environmental
stewardship, social responsibility,
and transparent governance (ESG) the foundation of everything we do. In June 2021, we established an ESG
& Sustainability Committee.
The role of the committee is to ensure the practices of Phoenix Copper and its subsidiaries are meeting
or exceeding the laws and regulations
put in place to protect the natural resources and communities located in and around its mining
In 2023, Phoenix Copper received an ‘A’ rating from Digbee ESG, a third-party environment, social, and governance (ESG) disclosure and verification company. Digbee’s ESG accreditation platform is designed to provide mining companies with an unbiased perspective on sustainability efforts to support the transparency and accountability of a company to its stakeholders. View the report summary here.
Phoenix Copper and its subsidiaries take environmental responsibilities seriously. We have commissioned independent environmental and socio-economic studies to determine the impacts of opening the Empire open pit copper mine and to serve as a guide for the best way to mitigate these impacts. The following environmental assessments have been commissioned since 2017, some of which continue on an ongoing basis:
Visual Resources, Noise Monitoring, Surface and Groundwater Resources, Environmental Geochemistry, Meteorological, Socioeconomic Reports, Soil Resources, Seismic Evaluation, Wildlife & Vegetation, Geotechnical and Socioeconomic Surveys of Transportation Routes, Archaeological Study
Supporting the local community is critically important to Phoenix. CEO Ryan McDermott and many of our Mackay-based employees and community stakeholders have longstanding generational ties to Mackay and the Lost River Valley. They have a fierce pride in its mining history and outstanding natural beauty and have every incentive to be responsible long term environmental stewards and good neighbors.
The Company will adhere to all federal, state, and local environmental, employment, and health and safety laws. Regular reviews of operational performance standards will occur over the life of the mine. In addition, the Company will further develop and promote ethical and transparent corporate reporting standards, and community and environmental stewardship programs.
Phoenix Copper Limited (the Company) is committed to acting at all times with the highest levels of integrity, and we expect all of our Employees, Managers and Directors (‘Covered Persons’) and external contractors to act in accordance with this commitment, including the following:
- To comply with the laws of the countr(ies) and states in which we operate, and to comply with all regulations and policies set by the Company.
- To safeguard the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees and all wider stakeholders, by ensuring a proper awareness and understanding of all health and safety requirements, including the provision and undertaking of appropriate training.
- To engage meaningfully with our community and to be a good neighbor. This includes hiring and procuring locally wherever possible.
- To conduct proper due diligence before contracting with a Third Party.
- To use all available methods to minimize our environmental impact, and to ensure that the land on which we operate is returned to meet reclamation requirements or better by the end of the mine life.
- To meet accepted sustainability standards, and to exceed them wherever possible.
- To foster an enjoyable workplace environment which encourages mutual respect and dignity, and which is free from bullying and harassment.
- To promote a culture of diversity, inclusion and equality wherever possible, including the provision of equal opportunities.
- To avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest, and to disclose conflicts of interest appropriately where they occur.
- To maintain proper records, to ensure that the Company’s accounts are a complete and accurate representation of the Company’s financial condition.
- To provide clear, accurate, complete and timely information to all legitimate recipients, including shareholders, regulatory bodies, government bodies, and to our wider stakeholders.
- To use Company assets and resources for legitimate business use only, and to ensure that they are not misused, damaged, stolen, or wasted.
- To maintain confidentiality of Company information.
- To encourage share ownership amongst our employees and directors, while adhering to all rules governing share trading in listed companies.
- To encourage individuals with concerns about questionable business practices or health and safety issues to raise these without fear of retaliation or harassment, and to support anyone who raises genuine concerns in good faith, even if they turn out to be mistaken.
Read full document: Code of Conduct Policy